Sunday, May 25, 2008

Fedora 9(Sulphur) + Wireless + SCIM

My Fedora 6 (Zod) crashed a few days ago and instead of fixing it I decided to go for the latest version - Fedora 9(Sulphur).

Everything went pretty well. There was a small problem with network cards. I had to select the checkbox 'Controlled by NetworkManager' under 'Device Configuration' window that pops up when you double click on the device in 'Network Configuration' & Devices tab. 'Network Configuration' pops up by selecting System->Administration->Network

I restarted the network service and now it did detect my wireless card and I didn't have to do anything special and could start using it immediately.

There was one more wierd problem though. I use SCIM to type in Marathi. I was not able to enter the hotkeys using 'SCIM setup'. It just refused to accept the keys. No matter what I did, It was refusing to accept any Key Code.

I basically wanted to enter the hotkeys for 'Trigger' under 'Global Setup'.

If you have same problem, this is how you can solve it.

The configuration data for the scim is stored in ~/.scim/config file.
Edit the file and add words "= Control+space" on line /Hotkeys/FrontEnd/Trigger.

After that just restart scim or 'Reload Configuration' by right clicking on the scim icon.

Now it should work for you. I can switch between English and Marathi using Control+space.

1 comment:

लीना मेहेंदळे said...

Thanks for your comment.
What keyboard layout do you use? The inscript layout, now adopted by lenux is the best. As I wrote in my vedio on INSCRIPT, most Indian language writers dont know it.